Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jonathan's favourite album covers of 2009

I didn't always like the music on them but these are the album covers that floated my boat in 2009. By the way, if you liked that Empire of the Sun album cover, there are support groups for that kind of bad taste.


Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion: When I was a little kid, my parents had these weird American encyclopedia sets and I was totally obsessed with the optical illusions section in them. This cover reminded me of that. Ah childhood nostalgia - too bad this band is terrible. To quote Buddyhead, "they are to songwriting what “Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel” is to cinema."


Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz: Let's face it, that's a pretty awesome image. I have to say I HATED this album when I first heard it. However, I put it on the other day and now that the electroshock has worn off, I think I'm coming around.


The Breeders - Fate to Fatal: I love this cover, just a really simple concept done well. Unfortunately, I remember when the Breeders were programming rage at their height and they programmed Faith No More. "What happened to these guys?" one of the Deals asked and I have similar feelings for the Breeders after listening to this.



Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Beware: I've long loved Will Oldham's apparent lack of vanity and this cover just captures something very beautiful about his face.


Delorean - Ayrton Senna Ep: I love the ethereal nature of this image. I'm not sure what's going on there but I like it.


Future of the Left - Travels with myself and another:
For some reason this reminds me of sixties imagery like an old Hitchcock poster or the Man from Uncle. Another simple winner.


Neko Case - Middle Cyclone: Neko has stated that she wanted to create the ultimate teenage boy fantasy - a hot woman on a hot car holding a big sword. My inner teenage boy is appeased.

Any other favourites out there?

--

No comments:

Post a Comment